“Schematics/Blueprints” for Quilt

Good Morning!

As promised, I am posting pictures of how I kept myself sane with all the different prints. The first picture was my way of visualizing the different 8 sections. The next picture was where I used colored sharpie pens so I could ‘see’ where the prints would end up being located. And I then circled a particular piece as I sewed it, then highlighting the directions to make sure I kept on course. Hope this helps!

Lizzy Marie

Lila’s Baby Bedding.

I will be the first to admit that quilts kinda scare me. I’m so used to fashion sewing and handbag sewing that the precision involved in quilting gives me hives…lol. Anyhow, while typically I find most quilt pattens to be a little behind the times I was able to find a free pattern from Valori Wells called ‘Urban Baby’. Here is the link in case you’re interested, Urban Baby Quilt.
For someone who has never attempted a quilt, this was actually very fun! I really suggest if you haven’t done one yet, this one is a great place to start. My sister wanted lavender damask for Lila’s baby’s room. For some strange reason the general public , when it comes to baby rooms, is under the impression that lavender isn’t the color of choice. Luckily, I was able to find a Michael Miller Minky damask print in a pinky-purple color for the back of the quilt.

These are all the fabrics for Lila's quilt.


To make sure that I liked the way it all looked put together, I decided to lay all the pieces on the floor in the exact layout the pattern described. Now I didn’t have the several different “suggested” (22 different ones to be exact) fabrics, but what I did was print out an extra pattern instruction. With this, I then divided up the fabrics I had (8 total) and “doodled” on the extra pattern instruction to ensure I didn’t end up with repeats or side-by-sides. This is how it looked all laid out.
Pretty good, huh? That literal mind really did help in this case because I made a schematic. Sewing it together was really easy. Going through the pattern instructions, it breaks the quilt into 8 sections. As I finished attaching a single square to another, I then serged the seam to give it good reinforcement (It is for an infant, after all =) ). Once I had all 8 sections complete, I followed the pattern as to which section to attach another section to. Again, serging that seam as well. Even though I put the Michael Miller minky on the back, I still felt it wasn’t a proper weight. So, I put a single layer of Warm & White Needle Punched Cotton Batting. It really did the trick. Then putting right sides of the bottom and quilt top together, I stitched 1″ all the way around leaving a 5″ opening to turn. To close the opening and bind the edges, I then topstitched 1/2″ all the way around to finish. Here’s the final product.

Not ironed just yet...lol 🙂


No, I didn’t do the traditional part of the quilt, the actual quilting (stitching over the top in straight lines or decorative pattern, but I was more than happy with this result. And, so was my sister. I decided to give it a final touch before send off.

On my way to Baby Lila!


Hope you enjoyed this post! Tomorrow I will post pictures of the “schematic/blueprint” I used to make sure nothing was overly repeated, but more importantly before I cut the fabric!

Lizzy Marie

%d bloggers like this: